During the winter and on some of our coldest days, we make every effort to monitor the weather conditions that may impact the safety of staff and students. Below are many considerations that we take at Pine Grove P.S.
- Students are to come to school ready for winter and prepared to be outdoors for morning recess and after lunch.
- When temperatures and/or wind chill reach minus 20 degrees Celsius, we consider an indoor routine for recess/events.
- When temperatures and/or wind chill reach minus 18-19 degrees Celsius, consider a shortened outdoor routine for recess/events.
- Children need to be dressed properly for our invigorating winter days. It is advisable for students to bring extra pants and socks. A change is often necessary due to the wet and cold weather of the winter months. To avoid adding to the clothing collection in the Lost and Found, parents/guardians should be advised to label all articles of clothing, including but not limited to, boots, hats, mitts/gloves, scarves, and snow pants.
- Encourage physical activity, such as walking or playing, to increase metabolism – which generates more body heat.
- Children should be monitored closely for signs of frostnip, frostbite or difficulty breathing.
- Students with health concerns, such as, but not limited to, heavy colds, coughs and flu, which are serious enough to prevent them from participating in physical education, recesses or other outdoor activities, should remain at home until the condition improves.
Mr. Brown & Mr. Thang.